Sunday, June 20, 2010

DIY Suet Feeder

So lately I've been buying Suet Plugs, essentially tube-shaped suet, and feeling like it would be ridiculous to buy a feeder for them.  This is because a suet plug feeder is pretty much just a log with holes drilled in it.  So, I made my own.  This is super straight forward:


Take a log, ideally about as thick as the plugs are long (definitely not thicker, though thinner is ok).  I used a section from last year's Christmas tree.  I'm not sure what treated wood would do, but I figure better safe than sorry in terms of not poisoning the birds.
Drill holes into said log with a drill bit the same diameter as the suet plugs.  I used a 1 inch bit, which was a hair too narrow.  1 1/8 or 1 1/4 would probably be better, but that may also depend on what brand suet plugs you buy.  I found that drilling exactly perpendicular to the wood actually proved quite difficult, but if you drill at a slight angle up or down the wood will drill much easier.  
Screw in a hook at the top of the log.
Put suet into holes (make sure it is mushed in and won't fall out).  Hang on bird feeder.
Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful!

    It's a very simple feeder, but they don't always end up looking as nice as this one :) Can't wait try make one myself.

    ReplyDelete