Wednesday, October 19, 2011

DIY Spartan Hoplite Costume: How to make a Shield (Aspis, or Hoplon)


My Hoplite costume of course needs a shield, and I lucked out that when I first made my 300 costume a friend let me have their saucer sled which was exactly the size I needed for my shield.  It was the easiest build ever: Take plastic saucer sled (about $10), drill 4 holes (two per side, to put in laces for holding shield on inside), spray paint brown, then lightly add gold spray paint to make a bronze-ish final color.  I also added a spray on varnish to keep the paint from chipping too much.  I used brown shoelaces tied through the holes to fit my arm and hand.  Done!
For all the Hoplite Costume Articles, Click Here

1 comment:

  1. i have checked the link that you got there and there's a how to's regarding the costumes. thanks! I really have problems when it comes to helmet making. thanks that you have there a good resource on how to make one. thanks!

    Sig: Adnrew @ medical equipment sales

    ReplyDelete