Wednesday, October 29, 2014

DIY Richard Castle 'WRITER' Vest Costume


For all my costume posts, click here.  

This Halloween I'm going as Castle (from the show Castle), and to do so required making his 'WRITER' printed bullet-proof vest. 

Supplies:
-Dark Blue Vest
-Dark Blue Cloth (I used a light weight denim)
-White Screen-Printing ink and a paint brush
-Safety Pins

I cut out four pieces of fabric - two large ones for the writing and two smaller ones for fake chevrons. The larger pieces were 11.5 x 4 inches, and the smaller pieces are 9 x 3.5 inches. The smaller pieces are long so that they can wrap over the shoulders. 





I used 'Impact' font in Microsoft Word as it appeared to be the closest to what is used in the show.  I traced the text off my computer using a pencil.  Then I hand-painted the words using screen-printing ink.  I let them dry, then ironed the pieces before attaching them to the vest. I iron both sides for a few minutes, with the cloth under a piece of a paper bag. 
Click here for my full article on screen printing.

I safety-pinned the pieces onto the vest, and to each other to help keep them from flapping over. 


The rest of the costume consists of jeans and a long-sleeve blue button up shirt.  Going simple this year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment